If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything - these are some key design principles that I identify with and inform my process.
- Design is problem solving on structural, functional and aesthetic levels.
- Experimentation leads to innovation.
- Curiosity is king, questioning leads to advancement.
- The medium is the message. I believe in a symbiotic relationship between form and function.
The channel, layout and typographic treatment can say as much as the word.
- Design is not value neutral. Rarely is design truly invisible. Every design decision we make has weight and exerts influence (positive or negative) over the content.
- Mathematical thinking in design provides influence not restrain.
- Collaborate with industry, clients and peers.
- Digital media has redefined (rather than replaced) the printed page.
- Typography is language made visible. Type is expressive. Good typographic form is two things:
- a way to clearly communicate information
- and, in equal measure, to reinforce the tone and intent of what you are communicating.